banner graphic
Airport Webcams
Who's Online
14 registered (Flubber4.0, Challenger1, mx757, SeaProbe, C420sailor, magman, torquen, Larry4, jt130eng, Awn, markv, Rob K, wingding44, Showboatsix), 428 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shark, seafury06, FluByU, Aaron Wink, chardee172
12817 Registered Users
Top Posters
Bargain Bob 216468
Rusty Rudder 8525
vettdvr 7724
Joeman434 6888
Cessna Dude 6628
California Flyer 6230
Willie 4728
Clyde Cessna 4485
Don Tedrow 3659
Peedie Montgomery 3470
wrecksum 2704
ytodd 2618
Ward Holbrook 2436
XP Driver 2407
N5479R 2370
Challenger1 2345
November X-ray 2304
Jim_1 2281
Viper_96 2212
Wayne R 2076
Henry M. 2053
Bigdoggh 1971
cadcap 1944
oilwell1415 1906
Pilawt 1904
Showboatsix 1871
Nightowl 1826
Nintendo Pilot 1744
Glenn Darr 1708
EdW 1682
Top Posters (30 Days)
Challenger1 74
Rusty Rudder 35
Flubber4.0 33
Viper_96 32
Jon H 28
Joeman434 27
Packman 26
CD. 26
skyhawk3 23
C420sailor 23
N5479R 22
frfly172 20
cadcap 20
Sondavid 17
SeaProbe 15
Wayne R 14
DeputydogK9 14
EdW 13
Underdog 12
Kentucky Captain 12
propizza 11
mx757 11
rick c 11
multisync 11
magman 9
Showboatsix 9
Henry M. 8
Bugs 8
California Flyer 7
WMason 7
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Mods & STCs
Jump to new posts Re: Moving the battery on 172n for deltahawk STC by Flubber4.0 @ Yesterday at 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TankPanZeRHas any moved the battery box off the firewall to the compartment behind luggage area? And add 20 kilograms of copper to get the heavy wire needed to the starter, what wire gage would be sufficient? Does sound terribl
Flying & C172 Club General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Avionics cooling air vents. by Flubber4.0 @ Yesterday at 11:29 PM

The computerized 'modern' avionics usually does bring their own fans, so the central one may simply no longer be needed. I am not 100 percent happy about it, because it pulls one point to look at an replaces it with several points of failure.
Avionics
Jump to new posts Re: Electronic buzzing in panel with master off by Flubber4.0 @ Yesterday at 11:26 PM

One of the numerous fans in your panel running on battery to cool down electronics.
Avionics
Jump to new posts Re: Electronic buzzing in panel with master off by SeaProbe @ Yesterday at 11:07 PM

Hmmm. 400-500Hz sounds like a cooling fan. It could be scraping or rubbing in its housing.
Jump to new posts Re: Avionics cooling air vents. by C420sailor @ Yesterday at 09:33 PM

From what I’ve heard, a cooling fan isn’t required with modern avionics...but in hot climates it can extend the life of the equipment. Inside an airplane under the Texas sun, even modern avionics can get brutally hot.
Avionics
Jump to new posts Electronic buzzing in panel with master off by Kentucky Captain @ Yesterday at 09:12 PM

This is a continuation of the post that I just made in the Tech Question section but this issue is electronic in nature. Upon landing at 2I3 and powering everything down, we experienced an electronic buzzing sound emanating from the panel. The swit
Avionics
Jump to new posts Re: Generator, Regulator, or amperes gauges? by Henry M. @ Yesterday at 08:55 PM

I got a cigarette lighter voltmeter for my 172. It saved me a short time later when I started on a sightseeing trip and noticed the low voltage, but barely a movement on the ammeter. I had LED lights and a modern radio, and there was just not that mu
Tech Questions
Jump to new posts Raw fuel smell on descent by Kentucky Captain @ Yesterday at 08:46 PM

I don't know why I get all of the weird issues, but, here goes: My daughter and I went from BRY to 2I3 for a fly-in yesterday. To give you the basic info: The trip is only about 50 miles. We fueled the airplane before departure We climbed to 4500'
Your Daily Cup of Joe
Jump to new posts Re: Sunday September 20th by Rusty Rudder @ Yesterday at 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: CD.I did a PILOTS N PAWS flight today. Flew 4 puppies to a new home. That's the 1st time I've ever flew some animals. My wife decided to go and she couldn't leave them in their carrier... ended up cradling all 4 in her lap!
Jump to new posts Re: Avionics cooling air vents. by Challenger1 @ Yesterday at 04:15 PM

My avionics shop took the blower out. As far as I know it was on whenever the avionics switch was on. I think the mounting trays have the air nipple that the air ducts connected to from the blower? Here is another tray with a nipple for a duct
Your Daily Cup of Joe
Jump to new posts Re: Sunday September 20th by CD. @ Yesterday at 02:38 PM

I did a PILOTS N PAWS flight today. Flew 4 puppies to a new home. That's the 1st time I've ever flew some animals. My wife decided to go and she couldn't leave them in their carrier... ended up cradling all 4 in her lap! They were only 2 weeks ol
Mods & STCs
Jump to new posts Re: Horton Stol Kit 172N by Henry M. @ Yesterday at 12:42 PM

There's a comparison of the STOL cuffs at https://www.steneaviation.com/products/sportsman-stol-late-kit My 172E was able to reach book speeds with the Horton kit on. What model 172 are you looking at installing this on? It makes a difference.
Avionics
Jump to new posts Re: Generator, Regulator, or amperes gauges? by skyhawk3 @ Yesterday at 12:33 PM

I have usually found that the contacts in the voltage regulator are the problem. The contacts actually arc a very small amount when opening and closing, like any relay. Over time they get dirty and pitted. If you cleaned them and it is now working
Mods & STCs
Jump to new posts Re: Moving the battery on 172n for deltahawk STC by skyhawk3 @ Yesterday at 12:26 PM

Quote: I believe relocating the battery would help but then battery venting would factor in. No reason it should. The original 150's had the battery behind the aft baggage wall. Vent tube simply ran out the box and down out the bottom of the fuse.
Cessna 172 Club Classifieds
Jump to new posts Re: Wheel pants - wanted to buy by skyhawk3 @ Yesterday at 12:11 PM

I believe the switch was in the early 60's (pointed style). The original teardrop type were fiberglass. On my 150 I actually found a NOS LH pant. Still had the Cessna PN printed inside. My 172 pants (of which I have a few sets) are also fiberglass.
Avionics
Jump to new posts Re: Generator, Regulator, or amperes gauges? by 4313 @ Yesterday at 11:34 AM

I'd check voltage at the buss and then at the armature while running to see if you are in the 13.8-14.2 range for both. If the buss is low then the fuse may be the issue. Get the wiring diagram out of the mx manual to figure out where to check for ch
Avionics
Jump to new posts Generator, Regulator, or amperes gauges? by Peanut92 @ Yesterday at 11:15 AM

I was 30 minutes from my home airport and noticed the generator light was very dim, but on at 2,000 rpms. My light comes on at 1,100 or so. I shut everything down but the radio. Upon landing and parking, it wouldn’t quite start backup. It had obvious
Tech Questions
Jump to new posts Re: Fuel Discrepancy by Showboatsix @ Yesterday at 10:22 AM

I hold 42 (listed) in reality could only get 19.2 & 19.1 in totally empty tanks, = 38.3 gallons total at 8 gallons an hour, at 2 hrs = 16 gallons burned 22.3 left, and at 2 hrs I have to P so I always have more fuel than bladder, and 3 hrs is r
Mods & STCs
Jump to new posts Re: Horton Stol Kit 172N by C420sailor @ Yesterday at 09:49 AM

My 172M does the same without a STOL kit. Flaps 40, full trim, full aft stick. Just settles wings level.
Tech Questions
Jump to new posts Re: Fuel Discrepancy by Flubber4.0 @ Yesterday at 08:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Marcos DiazMy impression after draining usable fuel is that the airplane will turn into a glider in a matter of minutes, even in level flight. I don't recall the exact definition, but I think you are wrong. 'Usable' refers to a
Tech Questions
Jump to new posts Re: Fuel Discrepancy by C420sailor @ Yesterday at 08:16 AM

Those sticks are accurate within a couple gallons, in my experience. They’re much better for before/after readings (‘oh look, I burned 8 gallons this flight’ vice ‘oh look, I have 14 gallons to empty’). It’s much more accurate than taking a peek an
Mods & STCs
Jump to new posts Re: Horton Stol Kit 172N by CD. @ Yesterday at 07:41 AM

I have a Horton on my 172B. It was on it when I purchased it. With wheel pants I cruise at 115mph. Like Henry said... back to idle, trimmed all the way, with the yoke in my chest, I just mush/sink at about 500fpm.
Mods & STCs
Jump to new posts Re: Horton Stol Kit 172N by Henry M. @ Yesterday at 07:24 AM

I really like the handling of my former 172E and current 182H with the Horton kit. I find it makes for a very stable platform at slow speeds. I don't land in short fields, but I like how the plane handles going slow, and the slow stall speed. In my
Tech Questions
Jump to new posts Re: Fuel Discrepancy by Marcos Diaz @ Yesterday at 06:55 AM

Sorry, sometimes I think everyone knows my airplane. It’s 172A 1960. 42 Gal total, 37 usable as per type certificate. Maybe my effort to reach precision in 1960 airplane is pointless, but I am an engineer, and my instinct is to understand as much a
Mods & STCs
Jump to new posts Re: Moving the battery on 172n for deltahawk STC by PPMD @ Yesterday at 06:13 AM

I am also interested in this issue. I have a 1978 172N with an Airplains 180HP conversion. The CG when the front seats are both occupied is at the forward limit. This makes the plane harder to flair smoothly. I carry a case of oil in the hat shelf to
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Cessna172 Tribute
THIS MONTH'S SPONSOR
Special thanks to:
You!
Thank you for making this site great
Today's Birthdays
59C172, bose4, endangered1, HavNfun, Mightymouse, N91793
Helpful Links
100LL Price Finder
AD Directory
Aging GA Aircraft