banner graphic
Airport Webcams
Who's Online
11 registered (Challenger1, wildduk, Flubber4.0, OneGuy, Hawk25U, Bob2, Larry4, KurtK, EdW, ytodd, CoreyFisher), 287 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jortiz, MJayK, NashEquilibrium, dferguso, Wyttenbach
12512 Registered Users
Top Posters
Bargain Bob 216468
Rusty Rudder 8418
vettdvr 7724
Joeman434 6790
Cessna Dude 6628
California Flyer 6215
Willie 4728
Clyde Cessna 4485
Don Tedrow 3659
Peedie Montgomery 3466
wrecksum 2704
ytodd 2596
Ward Holbrook 2436
XP Driver 2407
November X-ray 2303
N5479R 2291
Jim_1 2281
Viper_96 2131
Challenger1 2040
Henry M. 2012
Wayne R 2001
Bigdoggh 1971
oilwell1415 1906
cadcap 1893
Pilawt 1891
Showboatsix 1827
Nightowl 1826
Nintendo Pilot 1744
Glenn Darr 1708
KevinMcP 1665
Top Posters (30 Days)
Challenger1 51
Jon H 37
Viper_96 32
Rusty Rudder 31
N5479R 29
skyhawk3 28
mx757 27
cadcap 23
Flubber4.0 22
C420sailor 22
CD. 18
Kejidog 18
SeaProbe 17
DeputydogK9 16
Henry M. 15
ytodd 14
OldGunbunny 13
Underdog 12
wildduk 10
4313 10
Kentucky Captain 10
magman 10
jwcfbd 9
Gooneybird 9
Showboatsix 9
Tom Braeunig 9
CaptPenner 7
Peedie Montgomery 7
multisync 7
Wrench 6
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#31778 - 04/05/11 12:11 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: KYhawkXP]
Rusty Rudder Offline
Diamond Pilot

Loc: Fair Haven New York
Originally Posted By: KYhawkXP
I always try to fly into non towered airports assuming there are planes out there with no radios. Radios are not required by law. Radios break. Radios are easily screwed up by operator error, squelch, wrong com switch, volume turned down etc. We must try to see and avoid other traffic (part 91.113). If both airplanes saw each other on opposite finals the lower airplane has the right of way. Over the runway is no place to play chicken. I also use a Zaon traffic unit which is a big help for situations like this to let you know someone's out there.
Agreed, exept both planes did not see each other, plane in the pattern heard and saw streight in plane, plane on 5mi final had no audio but was transmitting and did not see or hear plane in pattern. When one party can hear the other and chooses a collision course over doing a go around, that is reckless. After all, lets not forget, both approaches are legal with respect to FAR's, and streight in approaches are done every day at uncontrolled fields, are common, and are good practice during slow times at the field and, after all, it is the polot in command who chooses the active runway while operating in uncontrolled environments... Moral of the story, when you hear someone comming at you, you are unable to establish dialog, for god's sake do a go arounnd as opposed to choosing a collision course just because you think you are right, you can be right and dead!

#31783 - 04/05/11 12:50 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Rusty Rudder]
Showboatsix Offline
Gold Pilot

Loc: KUAO, Aurora, Oregon
RV Pilot............ what more can be said?

Note: "Speed and 172 are not used in the same sentence!"

#31784 - 04/05/11 12:52 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Showboatsix]
Cessna Dude Offline
Diamond Pilot

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Damned low-winger!

#31817 - 04/05/11 05:11 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Cessna Dude]
Rusty Rudder Offline
Diamond Pilot

Originally Posted By: Cessna Dude
Damned low-winger!

Thats what I'm think-in ! LOL

#31821 - 04/05/11 05:16 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Rusty Rudder]
November X-ray Offline
Club Sponsor
Gold Pilot

Loc: Brookshire, Texas, USA
well that's your problem right there!

www.cessna172club.com

#31827 - 04/05/11 05:28 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: November X-ray]
Rusty Rudder Offline
Diamond Pilot

If you aint flyin a high-winger, you mid-as well be walk-in !

#32364 - 04/10/11 06:00 AM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Don Tedrow]
Rusty Rudder Offline
Diamond Pilot

Originally Posted By: Donald Tedrow
Cripes, if I heard someone landing opposite direction from me, I'd simply circle around and line up again after he landed. What's the BFD? Everybody thinks just because they announce on downwind, base, and final, that Jesus Christ himself authorised them to land without impediment. I've had to go around for all sort of bone-headed and innocent, "sh*t happens" reasons. It's something every pilot should be prepaired to do. The numbskulls who think they always got the right-of-way must be the ones that land on runways with Xs and trucks parked on them.

It's an UNCONTROLLED airport, fly defensively, and get over it. Otherwise, build your own private runway.
Indeed !

#34865 - 05/01/11 08:05 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Rusty Rudder]
agghopp Offline
Pilot in Command

Loc: Buckeye State
I have to agree with you Rusty. Here's the thing: at an uncontrolled field there is no active runway, it's whatever rw you decide to use. Yesterday I was at a sleepy field and made a crosswind entry to left downwind for 23. As I went by midfield I could see the windsock that earlier had favored a departure on 23 had swung around and was actually going to give me a bit of a tailwind landing.

On final I was high and hot and went around early. On the next downwind for 23, I reconfirmed the windsock position and announced I was going to land on RW 5 instead of 23 and went ahead and landed that way.

In the meantime my buddy in his 152 announced he was downwind for 23 and ended up landing 23 after I was clear. Who was right? Answer: both of us!

For me, if I hear someone straight in for a runway opposite mine and he's not responding to my calls or otherwise acknowledging our shared existence, I'm just waiting for him to clear out. In fact, a straight in approach like that I just assume he forgot to switch from approach to CTAF and can't hear me, so B should have cleared out and given you way for the sake of his own skin if nothing else.

#35036 - 05/03/11 04:22 AM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Rusty Rudder]
Vrooden Offline
Second in Command

Loc: Washington DC
If he CLEARLY cant hear me, he has the right of way...

maybe I'm a noob on this but I would rather not die (if its an option)

#35038 - 05/03/11 05:13 AM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Vrooden]
Rusty Rudder Offline
Diamond Pilot

Faa investigator contacted me a few weeks ago via telephone and requested both pilots meet @ the FSDO that serves this airport. He said, basically I would just like to sit down with both of you and chat about this, put it to rest as per both of you were performing legal approaches to the same runway with a lack of good comunication at a non-towered field.

#35052 - 05/03/11 08:13 AM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Rusty Rudder]
Vrooden Offline
Second in Command

Loc: Washington DC
As the PIC, its YOUR PERSONAL responsibility to make make sure you don't kill yourself

#35072 - 05/03/11 09:56 AM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Vrooden]
KYhawkXP Offline
Second in Command

Loc: Ky
There is a good legal article in AOPA this month that kind of relates to these types of things. It is more about straight in approaches and left turns in the pattern but is interesting to hear a strictly legal side of areas of the FARS that are really gray.

#35075 - 05/03/11 10:07 AM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: KYhawkXP]
Hawker172D Offline
Pilot in Command

Loc: NE PA
I fly almost exclusively at non-towered airports. I've learned to expect an idiot on every approach and simply to be prepared to give him room. It's kinda like when I ride my motorcycle. I don't trust any car that gets close to being within my "circle of safety."

Flying an airplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? ~ Captain Picard

#35117 - 05/03/11 07:55 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: KYhawkXP]
Rusty Rudder Offline
Diamond Pilot

Originally Posted By: KYhawkXP
There is a good legal article in AOPA this month that kind of relates to these types of things. It is more about straight in approaches and left turns in the pattern but is interesting to hear a strictly legal side of areas of the FARS that are really gray.

Saw that article this evening, case history that is very interesting from a legal point of veiw and grey is a good description.

#35139 - 05/03/11 10:53 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Rusty Rudder]
wrecksum Offline
SVP Public Relations
Platinum Pilot

Loc: Dominican Republic
I look at the legal aspects the same way I taught my kids to cross the road in Europe.
The black and white stripes are for legally crossing the road so when a car hits you you're illegally dead.

Same can apply to flying.

Cessna 172, C172, C-172, Cessna Skyhawk fan.
www.cessna172club.com

#37664 - 05/25/11 10:59 AM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: wrecksum]
Monty Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
RR, Im in no way trying to take the side of the jerk in the rv, but i noticed that you said your radio wasn't working and you couldn't hear any other transmissions except asos. But in your report you stated that you did a radio check to the FBO after the incident and that you were heard loud and clear and that you heard them loud and clear. My only question is how is this so if your radio wasn't functional?

#37675 - 05/25/11 12:36 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Monty]
Bob C Offline
Safety Pilot

Loc: USA Ilinois
Radio problems can be intermitent.

#37682 - 05/25/11 01:55 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Bob C]
Showboatsix Offline
Gold Pilot

Loc: KUAO, Aurora, Oregon
Uncontrolled fields......radios not required!
SEE & BE SEEN

Both were lucky that day, mid-airs suck

Note: "Speed and 172 are not used in the same sentence!"

#37687 - 05/25/11 03:29 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Bob C]
vettdvr Offline
Club Sponsor
Diamond Pilot

Loc: Slidell La
Originally Posted By: Bob C
Radio problems can be intermitent.

My 2 Com was new and intermitent and I didn't know it until calling flight weather. Took it back and the sideband was adjusted and now it is great. So there can be intermitent conditions in radios.

Single/Multi/instrument/type/commercial But then I am still learning.

#37690 - 05/25/11 03:50 PM Re: Who is at fault, you be the judge ! [Re: Showboatsix]
Propduster Offline
Gold Pilot

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Well, I have to admit that this was a head scratcher for me. Yes, the argument can be made that if you suspected your radio was not 100%, you should have overflown before landing, or joined a proper downwind or whatever. But the pivotal item for me is buddy going ahead and landing in the opposite direction after ADMITTING that he heard your calls that you were on a straight in approach. Anyone that fundamentally dedicated to being DEAD right should be taken out back and summarily executed.

Joining procedures exist to try and minimize conflicts...they don't excuse someone from doing something knowingly that will place himself or anyone else in harm's way. I'm kind of surprised that the FAA saw fit to reinforce idiotstick's actions in any way.

On the trip back from Winnipeg, we were on downwind (all properly called) at Sherbrooke. Another 172 decided to try and occupy the same hunk of airspace and was way too close before he saw us. Communications there are primarily French, as are a fair number of the local pilots. I don't speak the language well at all, so it was very likely a simple case of miscommunication. I yanked the power, called number 2 for landing, buddy slid in in front of me (having seen me by this time), we both landed safely and he came over and shook my hand after we were both down to apologize/ensure there were no hard feelings for not having seen/heard/understood me.

The very first thing driven into our skulls from the first groundschool class was that the PIC is 100% responsible for avoidence in VFR flight, and is not totally absolved from the responsibility even in IFR. Following asspick's lead in your situation, I'd have said FU, given it the gas and probably ended up with us both as a smoking pile of rubble in the Quebec woods. When flying becomes some kind of "Who's swinging biggest pipe" demolition derby, I'll take up crochet.

PD

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Cessna172 Tribute
THIS MONTH'S SPONSOR
Special thanks to:
You!
Thank you for making this site great
Today's Birthdays
Al Ernst, booter, Mick Burke
Helpful Links
100LL Price Finder
AD Directory