banner graphic
Airport Webcams
Who's Online
8 registered (wingding44, DeputydogK9, Kynan77, Jon H, magman, Viper_96, Joeman434, FoxyPoppa), 125 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hugh F, ndwells, ajadu, Dennis Earl, Buppy
12336 Registered Users
Top Posters
Bargain Bob 216468
Rusty Rudder 8353
vettdvr 7724
Joeman434 6752
Cessna Dude 6628
California Flyer 6197
Willie 4728
Clyde Cessna 4485
Don Tedrow 3659
Peedie Montgomery 3455
wrecksum 2704
ytodd 2582
Ward Holbrook 2436
XP Driver 2407
November X-ray 2303
Jim_1 2278
N5479R 2223
Viper_96 2026
Wayne R 2001
Henry M. 1985
Bigdoggh 1966
Challenger1 1927
oilwell1415 1906
Pilawt 1889
cadcap 1835
Nightowl 1826
Showboatsix 1816
Nintendo Pilot 1744
Glenn Darr 1708
KevinMcP 1665
Top Posters (30 Days)
Joeman434 87
DeputydogK9 76
Challenger1 74
Viper_96 68
cadcap 67
Jon H 50
N5479R 39
Rusty Rudder 27
Peedie Montgomery 19
skyhawk3 16
C420sailor 14
wildduk 13
magman 12
Gooneybird 11
California Flyer 11
mx757 10
Wrench 10
CaptPenner 10
OldGunbunny 10
multisync 9
Jim Faulks 8
CD. 7
deltafox 7
Davey1 7
DKirkpatrick 7
4313 7
Skydawg 7
Tom Braeunig 6
Henry M. 6
FoxyPoppa 6
Topic Options
#386776 - 07/21/18 11:05 PM Stratus 2 and ADS/B-In pirep
Curious1 Offline
Gold Pilot

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I recently flew from Spokane, WA (KSFF) to Baker City, OR. Most of the flight was at 7,500 to 8,500 feet MSL. From KSFF to Lewiston, ID (KLWS) I climbed and then cruised at 7,500 and had 'excellent' signal reported by on my Stratus 2. At Rogersburg, WA (D69) I began seeing 'marginal' reception reported. I climbed to 8,500’ and continued to see ‘Marginal’ reception. About 15 miles N of La Grande, OR (KLGD) reception improved to ‘excellent'. This continued as I flew over KLGD and descended to and through 7,500 on the last leg to KBKE. Soon after passing through 7,500 it degraded to 'marginal'. About 6,500' the signal became unavalable. This continued through the remainder of the descent and landing at KBKE.

I hadn't really thought MUCH about the big gaps in ADS/D coverage in the mountainous west. They're real.

#386777 - 07/22/18 03:13 AM Re: Stratus 2 and ADS/B-In pirep [Re: Curious1]
Kentucky Captain Online   content
Gold Pilot

Loc: Mount Washington, KY
Originally Posted By: Curious1
I recently flew from Spokane, WA (KSFF) to Baker City, OR. Most of the flight was at 7,500 to 8,500 feet MSL. From KSFF to Lewiston, ID (KLWS) I climbed and then cruised at 7,500 and had 'excellent' signal reported by on my Stratus 2. At Rogersburg, WA (D69) I began seeing 'marginal' reception reported. I climbed to 8,500’ and continued to see ‘Marginal’ reception. About 15 miles N of La Grande, OR (KLGD) reception improved to ‘excellent'. This continued as I flew over KLGD and descended to and through 7,500 on the last leg to KBKE. Soon after passing through 7,500 it degraded to 'marginal'. About 6,500' the signal became unavalable. This continued through the remainder of the descent and landing at KBKE.

I hadn't really thought MUCH about the big gaps in ADS/D coverage in the mountainous west. They're real.

I never really thought about the location of antennas around here since you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. On a trip we took a few weeks ago we were at 8000' and were watching weather close to our route about 100 miles ahead of us. I noticed that the update on the weather was happening at 4 minutes interval.

Hopefully, in the near future, the FAA will be planting more sites in your area. I think ADS-B is a great thing and has been of great benefit to me in traffic and weather.

#386810 - 07/23/18 10:04 AM Re: Stratus 2 and ADS/B-In pirep [Re: Kentucky Captain]
Curious1 Offline
Gold Pilot

On the return flight from KBKE to KSFF I climbed to 8,500' as I flew due east toward Halfway (a small town just west of the Oregon/Idaho border) to the Snake River gorge. I then flew north over the Snake River and the Hells Canyon toward Lewistin, ID and Spokane. At no time from takeoff to just 50 miles or so south of KLWS did I have any ADS/B reception. Zip! About the Snake's confluence with the Imnaha River I climbed to 9,000 or so... still no reception. It wasn't 'til Rogersburg at the Washington border that the Stratus reported 'marginal' signal. I didn't see a strong signal until within just a few miles south of Lewiston while cruising at 8,500'. About Oaksdale at 8,500' the signal again degraded to 'marginal' for a few miles. FWIW, my Stratus 2 receiver was about 1" above the top of the left side interior and midway between the forward door post and the left side of my panel. I think signal strength is strongly affected by where the Stratus is located. I was surprised to see the strong signal degrade between KLWS and KSFF Sunday on the return flight (it was consistently strong over Oaksdale on the flight south on Saturday).

#386811 - 07/23/18 10:17 AM Re: Stratus 2 and ADS/B-In pirep [Re: Curious1]
Henry M. Offline
Gold Pilot

Loc: Leander, TX
My understanding is that the signal strength reported by ForeFlight is related to the number of towers received. Marginal means only one tower is in sight. I don't think it relates to the actual strength of the RF signal.

#386827 - 07/23/18 11:30 PM Re: Stratus 2 and ADS/B-In pirep [Re: Henry M.]
Flyboy712 Offline
Bronze Pilot

Loc: Washington
I was based out of baker city for a while. There is no ADS-B coverage in that area if you're lower than 7500. You'll start picking up signal above that. It's a dead spot masked by the mountains. If you go to the FAA ADS-B website it'll show you coverage based on altitude and the last time I checked the website confirmed this. I was worried my ADS-B quit working when I moved there. Radar coverage is spotty below 7500 also. You can get good coms with salt lake center as they have several repeater towers throughout that area but radar and ADS-B is spotty.

#386837 - 07/24/18 06:05 PM Re: Stratus 2 and ADS/B-In pirep [Re: Flyboy712]
Curious1 Offline
Gold Pilot

Originally Posted By: Flyboy712
I was based out of baker city for a while. There is no ADS-B coverage in that area if you're lower than 7500. You'll start picking up signal above that. It's a dead spot masked by the mountains. If you go to the FAA ADS-B website it'll show you coverage based on altitude and the last time I checked the website confirmed this. I was worried my ADS-B quit working when I moved there. Radar coverage is spotty below 7500 also. You can get good coms with salt lake center as they have several repeater towers throughout that area but radar and ADS-B is spotty.

FWIW, I was dropped by Center inbound to KBKE over KLGD at 7800, nor did I connect with FSS on 122.4 at KBKE on the ground after landing. No big deal since cell coverage was 3 bars. I did reach Mcminnville Radio climbing out to to the east on the way home. I hit Boise Radio over Halfway at 7,500 and lost 'em as I turned North over the Snake.

#386863 - 07/27/18 12:09 AM Re: Stratus 2 and ADS/B-In pirep [Re: Curious1]
Gold Pilot

On the return flight from KBKE to KSFF I climbed to 8,500' as I flew due east toward Halfway (a small town just west of the Oregon/Idaho border) to the Snake River gorge. I then flew north over the Snake River and the Hells Canyon toward Lewistin, ID and Spokane. At no time from takeoff to just 50 miles or so south of KLWS did I have any ADS/B reception. Zip! About the Snake's confluence with the Imnaha River I climbed to 9,000 or so... still no reception. It wasn't 'til Rogersburg at the Washington border that the Stratus reported 'marginal' signal. I didn't see a strong signal until within just a few miles south of Lewiston while cruising at 8,500'. About Oaksdale at 8,500' the signal again degraded to 'marginal' for a few miles. FWIW, my Stratus 2 receiver was about 1" above the top of the left side interior and midway between the forward door post and the left side of my panel. I think signal strength is strongly affected by where the Stratus is located. I was surprised to see the strong signal degrade between KLWS and KSFF Sunday on the return flight (it was consistently strong over Oaksdale on the flight south on Saturday).

We're building a new house now and have one for sale. Comes with fabulous ADS-B coverage. Maybe I should use that in the property description.

#386873 - 07/27/18 09:57 AM Re: Stratus 2 and ADS/B-In pirep [Re: Kentucky Captain]
Curious1 Offline
Gold Pilot

Originally Posted By: Kentucky Captain

We're building a new house now and have one for sale. Comes with fabulous ADS-B coverage. Maybe I should use that in the property description.

I've never met or even heard of any C172 owner before (now) who owns a house even more ostentatious, huge, and useful as a landmark at 8,500' than Al Gore's tiny cottage! smile Here Al Gore's modest cottage is compared to another (less infamous) dwelling.

#386914 - 07/29/18 02:00 AM Re: Stratus 2 and ADS/B-In pirep [Re: Curious1]
Gold Pilot

Originally Posted By: Kentucky Captain

I've never met or even heard of any C172 owner before (now) who owns a house even more ostentatious, huge, and useful as a landmark at 8,500' than Al Gore's tiny cottage! smile Here Al Gore's modest cottage is compared to another (less infamous) dwelling.

Well, we are downsizing after all.

Cessna172 Tribute
THIS MONTH'S SPONSOR
Special thanks to:
You!
Thank you for making this site great
Today's Birthdays
Brian
Helpful Links
100LL Price Finder
AD Directory
Aging GA Aircraft