banner graphic
Airport Webcams
Who's Online
17 registered (CHD, Flyboy712, cessnawingspar, windsock, Ward Holbrook, Delco, Cessna Guy, howardflyer, Ed M2, Singh, SixPackRacer, flyhayes, theboys3, warmas, Pilawt, cadcap, CerveloRod), 100 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Greyson, BobbyC1223, howardflyer, gavanski, walter goedicke
6628 Registered Users
Top Posters
Bargain Bob 101891
Cessna Dude 6628
vettdvr 5844
Rusty Rudder 5131
California Flyer 4813
Clyde Cessna 3323
Willie 2779
wrecksum 2704
Ward Holbrook 2209
XP Driver 2122
Don Tedrow 2075
ytodd 1831
Nightowl 1826
Nintendo Pilot 1655
Glenn Darr 1651
oilwell1415 1649
RodneyHooverCFI 1645
Lee T. Hargic 1631
November X-ray 1589
Bigdoggh 1440
Pilawt 1425
Peedie Montgomery 1336
Jim_1 1268
EdW 1214
Propduster 1070
Showboatsix 1031
Awkward Bird 1019
Shuswap 987
Joeman434 915
Renegade 9 910
Top Posters (30 Days)
Bargain Bob 2230
Joeman434 193
vettdvr 140
Willie 90
Rusty Rudder 57
Don Tedrow 53
JD Casteel 41
Peedie Montgomery 35
California Flyer 31
Pilot110 30
Curious1 30
N5479R 29
Jim_1 28
Kansas Zephyr 26
Pilawt 26
3.14 LET 25
Shuswap 24
Glenn Darr 21
Desert Hawk 21
Ward Holbrook 20
BNB-SP 20
MrOutdoorsie 19
Renegade 9 19
Nintendo Pilot 19
cadcap 18
Singh 18
Float Pilot 17
NightHawk XP 16
Henry M. 16
Kinhop 14
Topic Options
#36037 - 05/10/11 09:43 PM Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel
Mslisaj Offline

Loc: Klamath Falls, Oregon
I want to add a third come to my Cessna/ARC radio stack. I have a Cessna Audio panel on the top of course with the marker beacon lights in it. The rotary com selector switch has three positions but the third switch for the "Phones - Off - Speaker" switch was never put in. Has anyone added the third switch? Can you add a third com through this audio panel? Has anyone ever seen a third com in the audio panel??

I'm about to get some work done on the panel and have a new ELT installed and all that but the key here is can the radio technician wire the third come I'm contemplating through my audio panel............

Thanks for all the help and comments.........

Lisa

#36088 - 05/11/11 01:46 PM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: Mslisaj]
wrecksum Offline
SVP Public Relations
Platinum Pilot

Loc: Dominican Republic
Hi Lisa.
I've not seen a comm panel for light planes with more than two comm. selectors but that doesn't mean they're not out there.
You could use the phones/speaker switch for audio I guess but you would also need a way to key the transmit on the correct box.
(Although I've seen a home made one and that was pretty difficult to use.)
We just have a spare antenna cable fitted into which we can plug the hand-held radio in if it's needed.
I have trouble juggling the frequencies on two boxes as it is so can I ask why you would need a third panel-mounted radio?

Cessna 172, C172, C-172, Cessna Skyhawk fan.
www.cessna172club.com

#36089 - 05/11/11 02:29 PM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: wrecksum]
Mslisaj Offline

My audio panel is the standard NavPak II set up. It has a rotary switch that selects the transmitters. It has a third position and the switch will rotate to the third position too. The only thing missing is the third audio select switch. It's marked but the hole is blanked over. I still have my Cessna radios and I'm just adding a third com with a built in GPS. Being the feds were so kind to turn off the perfectly operating Loran stations I have to fill that hole and I am going to put in a Garmin GNC250XL. The whole process is a go if we can get that audio panel to accept the third radio............

Thanks for the response..........

Lisa

#36102 - 05/12/11 12:38 AM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: Mslisaj]
Nightowl Offline
Club Sponsor/Speed Demon
Gold Pilot

Loc: Northwest lower Michigan
I had the same Cessna audio panel which we removed a year ago in favor of something newer. I still have the old one in the basement, and it's the same as yours with three transmit positions and a spot for a third com audio switch. Since I can see the internal circuit board, it appears to be a very simple matter to add a third com audio switch if the proper one could be located. Is there one you're not using, like for the ADF we also removed?

All our CAP airplanes have three com radios, so do use all three positions. Works just fine.

John

Our sigmap has been flown entirely using aircraft with capabilities at or below those of the C-172.

#36107 - 05/12/11 06:20 AM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: wrecksum]
XP Driver Offline
Club Sponsor
Gold Pilot

Loc: Fairfax, Virginia
My comm panel has a rotary dial with markings of "Tel" "Com1" and "Com2". I am not really sure what the "Tel" is supposed to support (telphone?) but I have it connected to the radio in my GPS. This gives me 3 comms, which is very convenient. I leave the 3rd comm tuned to my home field ATIS and Ground - great for getting started and returning home.

Once you go XP you never go back!

#36202 - 05/13/11 12:50 PM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: XP Driver]
Mslisaj Offline

Thank you gentlemen for taking your time to offer your suggestions. You guys have hit on what I thought would be a simple matter. I even have a spare audio panel that a switch could be removed from. But my avionics tech check "his sources" and they said it couldn't be done and "they" never saw it done before. At any rate, with that said I have decided to replace my Northstar Loran with a Kink KLN-90B GPS. That will fill the hole of my Northstar and I have also decided to replace my RT328T's with the Mitchel/TKM MX300 slide in replacements. From what I have read they are good radios and there a simple "bolt in" replacement. Everyone would like to push me in to a full glass panel but I just don't have a spare $80K sitting around. Besides for the kind of enjoyment flying I do I don't need all that.

With that said, thank you gentlemen again for your time to respond. I sincerely appreciate your thoughts. If you have any thoughts on the direction I'm going I'd love to read and digest those too...............

Lisa

#36214 - 05/13/11 04:02 PM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: Mslisaj]
Lee T. Hargic Offline
Gold Pilot

Loc: Louisville, KY
Lisa,

I love the KLN 90B. I think it will serve you well.

MSG...ENT...= Nearest Airport

#36404 - 05/14/11 08:59 PM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: Lee T. Hargic]
Glenn Darr Offline
Club Sponsor
Gold Pilot

Loc: Arizona
maybe a gps/com would do you ok, for the extra slot.

#36819 - 05/17/11 09:35 AM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: Glenn Darr]
Mslisaj Offline

The real trick for this install is finding a radio shop or Tech that can add the third switch. I have a spare audio panel that I can use for parts. But I just can't find a tech that knows how to do it. Here in the Northwest radio shops are few and far between. I have pounded the internet into exhaustion and haven't found the answer. But I'm hopeful if I keep fishing I'll get lucky and find the answer.

My connection for the KLN-90B has fallen through. I was going to move into that direction until the radio shop doubled their original estimate and I could see they weren't being honest so I got out of there fast. But my original idea of the GPS/Nav through my original audio panel with the third switch seems the cleanest possible solution.

Wish me luck..........

Lisa

#36831 - 05/17/11 10:40 AM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: Mslisaj]
Glenn Darr Offline
Club Sponsor
Gold Pilot

Loc: Arizona
Okay, Good Luck, Lisa

#36927 - 05/18/11 12:39 AM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: Glenn Darr]
Nightowl Offline
Club Sponsor/Speed Demon
Gold Pilot

I can't believe these "techs" have actually looked at the task. It's a piece of cake with the right switch. I could do it in five minutes. When I have time, I'll post a shot of what I've talking about.

John

Our sigmap has been flown entirely using aircraft with capabilities at or below those of the C-172.

#36988 - 05/18/11 05:41 PM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: Nightowl]
Mslisaj Offline

Very cool John. I have a spare audio panel so we have the exact switches.

So my original assumption is correct. The rotary switch that selects the third transmitter is wired in and can function. All that has to happen is add the third switch to the audio panel? The circuit board is already there and correct??

Can you send me a private message in this forum so I can send my email address and we can get this settled. If I could do this and get a shop that knows what's going on I would be a real happy pilot. Since I started this thread I have been forced down a long road that I don't want to go with a King GPS and IFR and it's way more then I want. So this information could be good news to me..............

Thanks John for your help.

Lisa

#39939 - 06/21/11 12:53 AM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: Mslisaj]
benrest Offline

Loc: Fl,US
Nightowl - Could you post solution here, I have same issue.
Is it just a matter of soldering in a switch and adding to existing wiring harness... could it be that simple?
TIA

#39944 - 06/21/11 01:46 AM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: benrest]
Nightowl Offline
Club Sponsor/Speed Demon
Gold Pilot

Actually, it appears to be. Adding the switch is easy. Finding the pinout for adding a third navcom to the harness may be more problematic. PM me an email address and I can send more.

John

#40083 - 06/22/11 01:41 PM Re: Adding a third com to a Cessna/ARC Audio Panel [Re: Nightowl]
Mslisaj Offline

I found a repair shop that looked at the audio panel I have and he had one that was older but practically the same that had the third switch. So the major thought on this subject is it is easily done. They even thought they had the "pin out" diagrams from ARC. I'm waiting for them to completely research it and give me a quote to make the change to the audio panel, install the new(used) radio and wire it all in. I'll keep posting on how this goes...........

Lisa

Cessna172 Tribute
THIS MONTH'S SPONSOR
Special thanks to:
You!
Thank you for making this site great
Strother '15 Countdown
June 18-21, 2015 KWLD
Today's Birthdays
Cotsboe, DMW
Member Map
Where in the world are the Cessna 172 Club Members?

View the map

Helpful Links
100LL Price Finder
AD Directory
Aging GA Aircraft
Aircraft Directory
Airplane Report
AirNav
Airport Facilities Directory
AOPA
Aviation Weather
Barnstormers