banner graphic
Airport Webcams
Who's Online
15 registered (Teg916, Delco, multisync, Desert Hawk, magman, Henry M., Float Pilot, Cam, Nintendo Pilot, Willie, Pilawt, Ward Holbrook, baboss, Rich Cunningham, Awkward Bird), 146 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
singhap11, chrismills, R Bragg, bryant, Jkind
5962 Registered Users
Top Posters
Bargain Bob 84280
Cessna Dude 6628
Rusty Rudder 4857
vettdvr 4837
California Flyer 4647
Clyde Cessna 3203
wrecksum 2704
Willie 2350
XP Driver 2053
Ward Holbrook 2047
Nightowl 1826
ytodd 1822
Don Tedrow 1778
RodneyHooverCFI 1642
Lee T. Hargic 1628
November X-ray 1589
Nintendo Pilot 1582
Glenn Darr 1540
Bigdoggh 1412
oilwell1415 1411
Pilawt 1353
peedie montgomery 1205
EdW 1154
Jim_1 1128
Propduster 1047
Awkward Bird 987
Showboatsix 967
OldCrow 864
Renegade 9 861
Shuswap 788
Top Posters (30 Days)
Bargain Bob 3191
vettdvr 174
oilwell1415 110
Willie 88
Rusty Rudder 84
Singh 79
Luvrv8 69
Don Tedrow 56
Float Pilot 55
Joeman434 54
Shuswap 45
Jim_1 41
Ward Holbrook 40
Onebadjudge70 38
Wayne R 37
California Flyer 36
Birdman 35
magman 32
XP Driver 30
Nintendo Pilot 29
3.14 LET 26
Teg916 26
Henry M. 23
JDC_Oklahoma 22
Pilawt 21
Clyde Cessna 20
Pilot110 18
Awkward Bird 18
tvpilot 16
3hawks 16
Daily FAR - Test your knowledge!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4258 - 03/18/10 11:09 PM Windshied replacement
Tom T Offline
Safety Pilot

Loc: Wa.
I will be replacing my windshield on my 172K and am wondering if anybody has ever done so without drilling out all those rivots. I am not looking forward to all that drilling and replacing the rivots with nuts and bolts.
Advice appreciated,

#4283 - 03/19/10 06:38 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Tom T]
agghopp Offline
Pilot in Command

Loc: Buckeye State
Can't say as I have Tom, but I did my side glass last year at annual. It is a lot of work for the uninitiated...heck it was a lot for my mechanic, helpers, everyone involved.

Taking pictures and documenting the process for the rest of us would be fantastic for future reference. Good luck.

#4286 - 03/19/10 08:58 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Tom T]
TaylorSp Offline
Pilot in Command

Loc: Salina, KS
We recently replaced our windshield and ours had the nuts and bolts holding the previous window on. The mechanic didn't like this to much, because he said that he would probably have to get someone to catch all of the nuts (he normally only works by himself). He ended up using rivets when he installed the new window. We originally thought that it would take him less time because of the nuts and bolts, but he estimated that it would take him an hour longer with them.

#4316 - 03/21/10 01:01 AM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: TaylorSp]
Tom T Offline
Safety Pilot

Did he use a cherrymax rivot when it went together, or the nuts and screws?
I have been reading up on changing them without taking off the bottom molding at all. Just get it hot and push it out from the inside. Get the new one warmed up real good and use a 2 inch diameter wood dowl to push the top down and it SUPPOSEDLY will snap in??

#6480 - 04/23/10 11:03 AM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Tom T]
Glenn Darr Offline
Club Sponsor
Gold Pilot

Loc: Arizona
When I had the windshield replaced last year, the techs just used nuts and bolts. Since the windshield had been replaced before, there was already nuts and bolts used. Still cost plenty for installation.
Glenn
1969 172K
W45

#6566 - 04/24/10 08:28 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: TaylorSp]
CESSNADON Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: TaylorSp
We recently replaced our windshield and ours had the nuts and bolts holding the previous window on. The mechanic didn't like this to much, because he said that he would probably have to get someone to catch all of the nuts (he normally only works by himself). He ended up using rivets when he installed the new window. We originally thought that it would take him less time because of the nuts and bolts, but he estimated that it would take him an hour longer with them.

You need someone to catch the rivets when they are drilled and punched out as well as nuts.

#6567 - 04/24/10 08:31 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Tom T]
CESSNADON Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Tom T
Did he use a cherrymax rivot when it went together, or the nuts and screws?
I have been reading up on changing them without taking off the bottom molding at all. Just get it hot and push it out from the inside. Get the new one warmed up real good and use a 2 inch diameter wood dowl to push the top down and it SUPPOSEDLY will snap in??

Can't speak to the 172, but I have had experience with a 150. Even with the bottom molding removed it is a difficult job.By trying to install the windshield without removing the bottom moulding you are risking cracking the brand new windshield

#6572 - 04/24/10 09:12 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: CESSNADON]
TaylorSp Offline
Pilot in Command

Loc: Salina, KS
I agree. I wouldn't take the risk.

#7486 - 05/09/10 04:02 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: TaylorSp]
Tom T Offline
Safety Pilot

Well, it is all done now and yes we drilled out all the rivots and rerivoted it back together. What a big improvement!
Tom T.

#7893 - 05/18/10 12:28 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Tom T]
wrenchTom Offline

Loc: UMP indiana
service manual allows for #6 screws to be used instead of rivots but I still would like to know those who did get windshield rivoted back in, were Cherry Max rivots used?

#7904 - 05/18/10 07:09 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: wrenchTom]
Cessna Dude Offline
Diamond Pilot

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Welcome wrenchTom! Glad to have you on the forum.

#8002 - 05/20/10 09:16 AM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Cessna Dude]
wrenchTom Offline

Thanks for the welcome Dude, looks like you're an active user. I've been noseing around and looks like I will be spending a lot of time in here.

#8004 - 05/20/10 09:55 AM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Tom T]
agghopp Offline
Pilot in Command

Loc: Buckeye State
Originally Posted By: Tom T
Well, it is all done now and yes we drilled out all the rivots and rerivoted it back together. What a big improvement!
Tom T.
What, no pics? frown Tom, how many hours would you say it took to do?

#8020 - 05/20/10 01:39 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: agghopp]
wrenchTom Offline

OK I have got a pic up my question is still when rerivoting dit you have to use CherryMax rivots? I dont know if I can reach all of them with a bucking bar. I would rather rivot than screw it back in. I have not done it yet.

#8223 - 05/25/10 12:51 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: wrenchTom]
Randy Crosby Offline
Second in Command

Loc: Trapper Creek, Alaska
I worked for a repair shop for many years that was owned by a guy who insisted you could replace the windshield without unriveting the frame, and he was right. Of course by the time you were done the frame was bent out of shape and the paint was scratched or flaking off and it looked like Goober had done the job under a shady tree.

To answer your question Tom, yes you can get to all of the rivets and buck them but you may have to remove some instruments/radios and interior panels and insulation to get to them. Oh and be very patient. I personally think it is worth the effort to do it right, I mean we are talking about an airplane here, but there is nothing "wrong" with using screws or cherrys either. Personal pride type of thing.

#8563 - 06/01/10 10:09 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Randy Crosby]
steve71e Offline
Second in Command

Loc: Atlanta, Ga
We never drilled rivets out on our flight school 172s and 152s. We learned the hard way to use only Cessna windshields. They never needed trimming and went right in. Just made sure we did it in the summer when schedule was not an issue. Windshield is much more flexible in warm weather.

#8735 - 06/07/10 06:19 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: wrenchTom]
Bill Rourke Offline
Safety Pilot

Loc: Peachtree City, Georgia
Originally Posted By: wrenchTom
service manual allows for #6 screws to be used instead of rivots but I still would like to know those who did get windshield rivoted back in, were Cherry Max rivots used?

I would not use cherry max rivots. They would make the next replacement next to impossible. If saw them used for that purpose on a pre-buy, I would recommend someone pass on the airplane as well.

#8736 - 06/07/10 09:21 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Bill Rourke]
Randy Crosby Offline
Second in Command

Originally Posted By: Bill Rourke

I would not use cherry max rivots. They would make the next replacement next to impossible. If saw them used for that purpose on a pre-buy, I would recommend someone pass on the airplane as well.

Take a dye grinder with a cut off wheel and carefully grind about 80% of the heads off and punch out stem. Works every time.

#8745 - 06/09/10 09:23 AM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Randy Crosby]
Bill Rourke Offline
Safety Pilot

Loc: Peachtree City, Georgia
Carefully is right; one slip on one (of many) cherry max rivet heads and you have a nice gouge in the skin... Makes an already difficult job much more difficult. Also, don’t forget, you may be the one changing the window again….

This would also make me wonder what other “short cuts” have been taken. IMHO, if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right.

#8842 - 06/11/10 09:12 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Bill Rourke]
Randy Crosby Offline
Second in Command

Originally Posted By: Bill Rourke

This would also make me wonder what other “short cuts” have been taken. IMHO, if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right.

I totally agree and always hated using cherrys and only used them as a last resort. However there is a "right" way to install them and there is a "right" way to remove them as described. Almost surgical. Of course so is removing a solid rivet and I have bungled at least one or two that I can remember. mad Also cherry max rivets use an oversized hole so you are already headed down a slippery slope when using them.

Riveting the trim piece back on without distortion is no easy matter either and takes two skilled people with a lot of patience. The trim is thin and has a compound curve that is easy to damage even by an expert. If the windshield is going to be replaced more than once in it's life time I would tend to lean towards screws as the best way to hold the trim piece in place, not so much as it is easier but more in protecting the airplane. If your plane is more of a static display and has to be as original as possible then I would buck me up some rivets.

A good mechanic should realize not all airplanes are treated equally and there are compromises to be made as long as at the end of the day the aircraft is airworthy. Some owners are extremely picky and want their baby treated with the upmost care with no expenses spared and spend more time polishing than flying. While others might be using theirs as a pickup truck and want problems found and fixed correctly but aren't going to win any awards at Oshkosh.

Edited by Randy Crosby (06/11/10 09:15 PM)

#14467 - 11/08/10 08:39 AM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Randy Crosby]
Sascha Offline

Loc: Germany, Hessen, Bad Hersfeld
Can you tell my about the dimensions of the used rivets? Diameter, Griprange, Type?
I'm going to replace all the windows of my 172M and i've no idea, witch rivets to buy! Thanks for help.

#21931 - 01/29/11 07:37 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: Sascha]
stellar Offline

Loc: Canada
Did mine last spring. Used a combination of aluminum cherry max on the difficult to access locations (center) and normal ac rivets in the areas that are easily accessible (sides). Worked great.

#22154 - 01/30/11 10:04 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: stellar]
n1acguy Offline
Safety Pilot

Loc: S. Ca. WHP
I used a windshield from Great Lakes Aeroplastics. It required a lot of trimming and test fitting. Had to be in and out a few times before we got it just right. Even if an OEM from Cessna didn't require any trimming, it would have to do a heck of a lot of flexing to get it in without removing the bottom trim piece. I've heard of the method, but don't know anyone who's actually done it.
We used rivnuts. The trim piece for the windshield isn't structural.
Rear window framing is structural. We used solid rivets for those. I wouldn't use cherry max rivets in place of solid rivets myself.

#37214 - 05/20/11 01:06 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: n1acguy]
okfoz Offline

Loc: Flint, MI, USA
Originally Posted By: n1acguy
I used a windshield from Great Lakes Aeroplastics. It required a lot of trimming and test fitting. Had to be in and out a few times before we got it just right. Even if an OEM from Cessna didn't require any trimming, it would have to do a heck of a lot of flexing to get it in without removing the bottom trim piece. I've heard of the method, but don't know anyone who's actually done it.
We used rivnuts. The trim piece for the windshield isn't structural.
Rear window framing is structural. We used solid rivets for those. I wouldn't use cherry max rivets in place of solid rivets myself.

Alex,
This is John at Great Lakes Aero Products, First I would like to apologize for any problems you had while installing the windshield, second I am curious what kind of trouble you had installing the windshield. Normally I hear how well our windshields compared to anyone else, so to read this is kind of a shock. Typically there's a little trimming here or there, but it sounds like you had more than normal trimming... Ultimately I am just trying to figure out how we could improve our product if I need to or if I actually can...

Thanks.

As to add to the conversation, yes, you can install a windshield without removing the bottom band... I have never had a problem with it bending it or warping the band as mentioned above, but that has been my personal experience... The biggest trick is when you install the windshield to get the top to flex down and get it into the channel at the top (depending on your model)

If anyone is interested I have pictures of an install into a 182... The methods are the same, it is usually a bit easier to install a 172 windshield because most 172 windshields are thinner, at least through about 1979 (note: the R172 XP and the 172RG, always used the thicker 1/4" windshield)

I guess I have to figure out how to upload pics first...

John

#37221 - 05/20/11 04:01 PM Re: Windshied replacement [Re: okfoz]
Cessna Dude Offline
Diamond Pilot

Loc: San Antonio, TX
John - You'll find "how to" instructions on posting photos in the new member information section of the forum.

Thanks, and nice to have you as a member.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Cessna172 Tribute
THIS MONTH'S SPONSOR
Special thanks to:
You!
Thank you for making this site great
Strother '14 Countdown
June 12-15, 2014 KWLD
Today's Birthdays
Asti, linkbelt
Member Map
Where in the world are the Cessna 172 Club Members?

View the map

Helpful Links
100LL Price Finder
AD Directory
Aging GA Aircraft
Aircraft Directory
Airplane Report
AirNav
Airport Facilities Directory
AOPA
Aviation Weather
Barnstormers