banner graphic
Airport Webcams
Who's Online
28 registered (Jpod, Pilot110, KyleFoster, C172Flyer, dashnamp, Joeman434, 1 cropduster, flynal, Pilawt, Henry M., Teg916, Newpilotoldplane, farnk, flyer921, multisync, Donboy, theboys3, Wayne R, TxHawk, vettdvr, Ward Holbrook, Desert Hawk, Derek, Kansas Zephyr, 3hawks, KCDean, TweetieHawk, DavidM), 143 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Southtexashvac, JimMac, Arca, Dave Fields, garrott
6282 Registered Users
Top Posters
Bargain Bob 93402
Cessna Dude 6628
vettdvr 5430
Rusty Rudder 4991
California Flyer 4735
Clyde Cessna 3305
wrecksum 2704
Willie 2584
Ward Holbrook 2130
XP Driver 2110
Don Tedrow 1989
Nightowl 1826
ytodd 1822
RodneyHooverCFI 1642
Lee T. Hargic 1629
Nintendo Pilot 1623
Glenn Darr 1611
oilwell1415 1598
November X-ray 1589
Bigdoggh 1435
Pilawt 1380
Peedie Montgomery 1228
Jim_1 1206
EdW 1179
Propduster 1059
Awkward Bird 1012
Showboatsix 996
Shuswap 913
OldCrow 875
Renegade 9 873
Top Posters (30 Days)
Bargain Bob 2924
vettdvr 183
Joeman434 144
Willie 74
Don Tedrow 57
Singh 48
Luvrv8 47
Rusty Rudder 46
farnk 41
Desert Hawk 40
oilwell1415 36
Shuswap 32
Wayne R 30
JD Casteel 28
Ward Holbrook 28
Dave W 28
3.14 LET 27
Pilot110 26
Henry M. 25
California Flyer 23
Fischer 23
N5479R 22
Teg916 21
Glenn Darr 19
Newpilotoldplane 17
Captain Sam 16
milo100 15
Clyde Cessna 14
Nintendo Pilot 14
Ron Patton 14
Topic Options
#3232 - 03/03/10 10:03 AM Redoing the Interior
agghopp Offline
Pilot in Command

Loc: Buckeye State
I am getting close to having my ratted out interior redone. I have found a recommended shop that works in fake leather at a very reasonable price. My plan is to send him my interior to redo while I have everything out for annual. He will do his magic and ship back to me so I can reinstall.

The major problem I have is that it has to fit back in. I expect to have some challenges with things like kick panels. But Airtex does it, right?

What I'd really like to ask is if you have pictures of your interior, or if you know of a great site, that I can see. I need to pick the design of my seats and sidewalls. Do I want smooth, do I want it ruffled (my wife calls it the casket look). I'm having a terrible time finding the right look and need to see more photos of Cessna interiors.

Finally, did your weight change on your plane after the install? Did you need to get a new W&B performed?

Thanks,

Greg

#7919 - 05/19/10 02:59 AM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: agghopp]
Danny Offline

Loc: North Carolina
This is from my military experiance, a new weight check is always done after a complete interior up grade. There is no way to just calculate the weight, arm, and moment with out weighing the bird to check for any change.

Dan

#7926 - 05/19/10 07:47 AM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: Danny]
Cliff Chambliss
Unregistered

Don't be so quick to jump on the Airtex Wagon. Their prices are good but often (more often than not) what you get from Airtex is going to requires a lot of fitting, trimming, refitting, reforming (you get real good at using a hair dryer). Cessna OEM Parts are more expensive (a lot more expensive) but fit better. Selkirk and Plane Plastics, (and depending on the model, Wag Aero) also offer interior parts. Please do your homework before you drop the $. This is not intended to be a slam against Airtex, their price is good, and once fitted and installed their paroduct looks great. It's just sometimes a bit of labor instensive to get there.

#9328 - 06/27/10 07:39 AM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: ]
vettdvr Online   content
Club Sponsor
Diamond Pilot

Loc: Slidell La
Ok, I put this on another thread but perhaps it was in the wrong place so it is ok to say it is a dupe.

Lettering on the circuit board panel is wearing off. Is there any decal / rub on or other option to redo the worn lettering?

Single/Multi/instrument/type/commercial But then I am still learning.

#9329 - 06/27/10 09:47 AM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: vettdvr]
Bill Rourke Offline
Safety Pilot

Loc: Peachtree City, Georgia
Originally Posted By: vettdvr
Ok, I put this on another thread but perhaps it was in the wrong place so it is ok to say it is a dupe.

Lettering on the circuit board panel is wearing off. Is there any decal / rub on or other option to redo the worn lettering?

I have tried several different methods of lettering panels. The best so far, for "one offs", is to remove the original aluminum label strip, clean it up with scotch brite and paint/powder coat it (I recommend powder coating).

Next take it to a trophy shop which does laser engraving and have them engrave new labeling. You can then use lacquer sticks to fill in the lettering.

I think you will find the resulting panel to be nicer than the original.

#9331 - 06/27/10 10:04 AM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: agghopp]
Bill Rourke Offline
Safety Pilot

Originally Posted By: agghopp
I am getting close to having my ratted out interior redone. I have found a recommended shop that works in fake leather at a very reasonable price. My plan is to send him my interior to redo while I have everything out for annual. He will do his magic and ship back to me so I can reinstall.

The major problem I have is that it has to fit back in. I expect to have some challenges with things like kick panels. But Airtex does it, right?

What I'd really like to ask is if you have pictures of your interior, or if you know of a great site, that I can see. I need to pick the design of my seats and sidewalls. Do I want smooth, do I want it ruffled (my wife calls it the casket look). I'm having a terrible time finding the right look and need to see more photos of Cessna interiors.

Finally, did your weight change on your plane after the install? Did you need to get a new W&B performed?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

Take a look at the Tennessee Wings web site. Shelby is a Cessna 150-152 Club member and has done the interiors on all kinds of aircraft. He comes very highly recommended and has a website that shows his work. You can also get some ideas for your redo there.

#9340 - 06/27/10 08:18 PM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: Bill Rourke]
Cessna Dude Offline
Diamond Pilot

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Good reco Bill. And don't worry about dupes. It's all good. smile

#9360 - 06/28/10 08:00 AM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: Cessna Dude]
Mac Offline
Safety Pilot

Loc: Manassas, VA
I'm in the same boat, need a new interior. I'm not handy enough to tackle it, so anyone know a good (and not expensive) shop near Manassas VA? Somtimes I wonder if it's even worth it, since the engine is past TBO and the avionics are old as well. Lots to consider on my part.

#9558 - 07/03/10 11:57 AM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: Mac]
vettdvr Online   content
Club Sponsor
Diamond Pilot

Loc: Slidell La
Powder coat? is this the one you do in the oven? Would it warp the panel?

Single/Multi/instrument/type/commercial But then I am still learning.

#9581 - 07/04/10 10:43 AM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: vettdvr]
Bill Rourke Offline
Safety Pilot

Originally Posted By: vettdvr
Powder coat? is this the one you do in the oven? Would it warp the panel?

If you did the plastic it would destroy the panel; the aluminum strip with the lettering would come out fine.

#10001 - 07/19/10 11:31 AM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: Bill Rourke]
agghopp Offline
Pilot in Command

Loc: Buckeye State
Originally Posted By: Bill Rourke
Originally Posted By: agghopp

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

Take a look at the Tennessee Wings web site. Shelby is a Cessna 150-152 Club member and has done the interiors on all kinds of aircraft. He comes very highly recommended and has a website that shows his work. You can also get some ideas for your redo there.
Hi Bill, I'm very familiar with Shelby and really admire his work. Friend Dan had his seats done for his 152 there and I've seen the work he has done on other's planes.

Problem is, because I have to ask what it would cost, I'm pretty sure I can't afford him.

#11036 - 08/16/10 04:31 PM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: agghopp]
Mac Offline
Safety Pilot

I'm ready to redo my interior and have a couple of shops in mind. Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the following shops? Advantage Interiors, Donagle Springs (N71) PA.
Hagerstown Aircraft Services, HGR, Maryland
Advanced Interiors, HGR, Maryland
Capitol Aviation, Manassas, VA.
Any comments appreciated.

#11052 - 08/16/10 08:58 PM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: Mac]
Don Tedrow Offline
Gold Pilot

Loc: Bastrop, TX
FWIW, not long after we got our Cessna, I flew it up to Hangar Bay Interiors in Ottumwa, IA.

http://hangarbay.org/index.html

They sell kits to do it yourself, but since we have some grandkids in Nebraska, only about 4 hrs away by car, it was easy just to fly it to them, rent a car and spend 4 days with the kids while they replaced the interior, carpet, and they even re-painted the seat frames and installed the new seat roller kit from McFarlane. Price was very reasonable I thought. (I think about $2500 installed IIRC, but I have a lousy memory.)

Anyway, several other folks over at the CPA have used their kits and seemed satisfied. The owners are very good to deal with. I'll try to post some pics.

I did the new plastic panels in the baggage compartment myself after we got home. Those are Cessna parts.

#11058 - 08/16/10 09:26 PM Re: Redoing the Interior [Re: Don Tedrow]
Mac Offline
Safety Pilot

NICE. I'll look into it. Hope mine comes out looking as good.
Thank you.

Cessna172 Tribute
THIS MONTH'S SPONSOR
Special thanks to:
You!
Thank you for making this site great
Strother '15 Countdown
June 18-21, 2015 KWLD
Today's Birthdays
evan
Member Map
Where in the world are the Cessna 172 Club Members?

View the map

Helpful Links
100LL Price Finder
AD Directory
Aging GA Aircraft
Aircraft Directory
Airplane Report
AirNav
Airport Facilities Directory
AOPA
Aviation Weather
Barnstormers